As you may have read in the previous post, I unraveled my first attempt at knitting a sweater without a pattern – well, that is, without a pattern written by someone else. That first attempt was for a modified drop-shoulder sweater, which is shaped more or less like this:
I made it too big, not that that’s a bad thing, because it’s supposed to be big, but it was taking up so much yarn – it seemed like it would ultimately take about twice as much yarn as I had originally expected, and I wasn’t too happy with it anyway.
So I cut my losses and started anew, this time with a set-in-sleeve sweater, which has more shaping to it so it should be harder to calculate the increases and decreases and such – so I should learn more from it! I guess the first try gave me the confidence to give it a go.
I used a 5 cm (2″) ease at the waist, bust, and hem, and made it high-hip length (as opposed to the original which was tunic length) – so the yarn I have should be enough.
I already finished the whole sweater back! And started knitting the sweater front, which is the same as the back, except for the neckline, and for a stitch pattern I want to incorporate starting below the bust.
It wasn’t that hard, after I broke it down to its sections, and watched some parts of the “Handknit Garment Design” Course by Shirley Paden again.
So far, so good! I hope to be posting the finished front soon. And I still have to work out the set-in sleeve (it’ll be a short sleeve).
Have a good day, everyone!