Dry skein, after having pulled apart each strand:
Good morning, readers! I’m whipping up a short update post before getting ready and heading for work. I promised myself I would get better at taking photos which I put up on the blog, instagram, etc. I will make an effort! But that effort has not yet been made, so please excuse the blurriness etc. I do promise better photos soon! Here’s another look at Jessie’s girl. I wore it once to work so far and it’s a comfy and flattering tee. Nowadays, I wear tunics and tights most days, dresses other days. Which is why I lengthened the tee a bit to make it more of a tunic. I’m happy with it. I’ve been spinning on my drop spindle quite a bit. Here’s my re-spun (I spun it badly, then fixed the slubby parts) and two-plied Corriedale, I think it is: It’s amazing to see the transformation that happens after washing. People say the yarn “blooms” and I see what they mean! My latest spinning is approximately 3 oz of Romney undyed combed top – my first ever 3 ply. This office chair was used as a makeshift skein maker: and here is the 3-ply hand spun (spindle spun!) yarn: It’s not easy to ply such a length on a drop spindle, just because of the weight of it all. But I am proud of myself for doing it. I’ve been spinning more consistently and drafting flows much better now. This is the above 3-ply yarn, before plying – I spun it into a 3-ply ball as Abby Franquemont suggests. Here’s one of the singles being spun: I am contemplating getting a Hansen miniSpinner. It’s so expensive, but it seems like a great tool. Gotta run!
I finished knitting up Jessie’s Girl – a lovely, simple pattern, with short rows at the shoulders. I needed to make adjustments for my stitch count, so that slowed me down for a bit (lots of pen and paper and ruffled brows) – but it gave me a chance to practice making those adjustments and understanding the pattern better. Short rows are still rather new to me.
The instructions were great, and I enjoyed making it. I lengthened the hem by 10 cm (4 inches), but otherwise followed the instructions for size M (except for my different gauge). I really love patterns that are simple but are still so wearable and lovely. I gave the pattern 5 stars.
The yarn (100% cotton, teal) is of a uniform color – the fluctuations in color are some weird digital artifact. The tee is photographed here inside-out, so you can see some woven in ends. Please disregard! :-)
No pins (because the cats like them too much) and no blocking wires (because they are way too expensive! They’re just wires! I cannot bring myself to buy them). The garter stitch rows stretched apart very easily, and I like to casually block anyway. I don’t like to go too crazy with blocking or else I will hate doing it.
Now for the hardest part – waiting for it to dry!
Yesterday morning I started spinning my 3rd ounce of fiber, and it was a dream! The fiber, R.H. Lindsay Domestic Wool in Grey Fawn, is rustic and not very soft, and even has small pieces of dried plants in it. I don’t care! It’s perfect! The fibers stick together and they’re hardy and strong, so I could spin relatively thin and even. Since I spun a thinner yarn, the same amount of fiber lasted longer, and I got more practice out of it.
I’m going to wash it and knit a swatch out of it.
Since I’ve run out of fiber for spinning, and since I realized I’d spun my previous fiber (Ashland Bay Superwash BFL) too thick, I thought I’d try re-spinning it. It’s going slowly, but well:
Here are the fibers I’ve ordered (8 ounces of each). I hope they get here soon!
I’m reading the kindle version of “Respect the Spindle” by Abby Franquemont. It is inspiring, in-depth and fascinating so far. Highly recommended.
Sorry for the blurry photo :|
Looks much better with a finished neckline:
I didn’t know how to avoid this hole while picking up stitches, so I just fixed it by stitching it up in the end.
The beginning of the seed stitch is like the pattern instructs, but the rest is improvised.
See how soft and velvety the fabric is?
All in all, I’m happy with it, though there are things I’d like to do better next time, and I am sorry to say I prefer more informative pattern instructions than these.
East End is beautiful and simple.
The instructions, on the other hand, were too vague for me.
After knitting up to the V-neck, troubles arose and I frogged it all and started from scratch. I took some time to plan ahead the second time.
Once I got to the underarm and put aside the sleeve stitches, things got a LOT easier.
Working in the round flowed really fast. It did torque, though, so the decreases are skewed to the side and not nicely symmetric at the back.
The fabric (made of 50% cotton 50% bamboo yarn – Fibra Natura Bamboo Jazz) has a feels velvety and soft and has good drape. I’d like to create a more lightweight fabric in an upcoming project though.