Good morning, readers! I’m whipping up a short update post before getting ready and heading for work. I promised myself I would get better at taking photos which I put up on the blog, instagram, etc. I will make an effort! But that effort has not yet been made, so please excuse the blurriness etc. I do promise better photos soon! Here’s another look at Jessie’s girl. I wore it once to work so far and it’s a comfy and flattering tee. Nowadays, I wear tunics and tights most days, dresses other days. Which is why I lengthened the tee a bit to make it more of a tunic. I’m happy with it. I’ve been spinning on my drop spindle quite a bit. Here’s my re-spun (I spun it badly, then fixed the slubby parts) and two-plied Corriedale, I think it is: It’s amazing to see the transformation that happens after washing. People say the yarn “blooms” and I see what they mean! My latest spinning is approximately 3 oz of Romney undyed combed top – my first ever 3 ply. This office chair was used as a makeshift skein maker: and here is the 3-ply hand spun (spindle spun!) yarn: It’s not easy to ply such a length on a drop spindle, just because of the weight of it all. But I am proud of myself for doing it. I’ve been spinning more consistently and drafting flows much better now. This is the above 3-ply yarn, before plying – I spun it into a 3-ply ball as Abby Franquemont suggests. Here’s one of the singles being spun: I am contemplating getting a Hansen miniSpinner. It’s so expensive, but it seems like a great tool. Gotta run!
Sorry for the blurry photo :|
Looks much better with a finished neckline:
I didn’t know how to avoid this hole while picking up stitches, so I just fixed it by stitching it up in the end.
The beginning of the seed stitch is like the pattern instructs, but the rest is improvised.
See how soft and velvety the fabric is?
All in all, I’m happy with it, though there are things I’d like to do better next time, and I am sorry to say I prefer more informative pattern instructions than these.
East End is beautiful and simple.
The instructions, on the other hand, were too vague for me.
After knitting up to the V-neck, troubles arose and I frogged it all and started from scratch. I took some time to plan ahead the second time.
Once I got to the underarm and put aside the sleeve stitches, things got a LOT easier.
Working in the round flowed really fast. It did torque, though, so the decreases are skewed to the side and not nicely symmetric at the back.
The fabric (made of 50% cotton 50% bamboo yarn – Fibra Natura Bamboo Jazz) has a feels velvety and soft and has good drape. I’d like to create a more lightweight fabric in an upcoming project though.